Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Friday, October 05, 2007

Embrace Your New Geek.

I am not a number, I am (according to Microtrends) a category.

New Geeks may use the internet to meet people online but they also meet them in real life. They are twice as likely as reluctant users of new technology to regard “hitting the town” as enjoyable entertainment and 60 per cent of them describe themselves as extrovert, compared with 49 per cent of US adults

Contrary to the opining of a fool I met last week, bloggers do not write personal diaries and communicate solely online - they actually go out and meet like-minded and challenging people in a way that cannot be replicated by the conference route. Not at all sure that I'm a geek (as the technical and design state of this blog attests) but the other characteristics sound OK to me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sprezzatura said...

Guy Kawasaki recently opined that bloggers are a bunch of 45 year old babies with dead cats in their freezer.

Clearly, he needs to empty out his freezer.

1:37 PM, October 05, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

I shall have a word with him.

2:29 AM, October 06, 2007  
Blogger Charles Edward Frith said...

Bloody hell. How come you get comments from JD and I've been at it for yonks?? ;)

10:05 AM, October 07, 2007  
Blogger Ruby Pseudo said...

I'm not the fool you met last week am I?!

3:20 PM, October 07, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

Charles - my face to face comments are worth more to you than you amit!

Pseudo - yes you were the outstanding fool of all those I met last week.

3:24 AM, October 08, 2007  
Blogger lauren said...

doddsy, you're a geek. you may have limited technical/design skills, but you're a geek nonetheless. i wouldn't worry about it, you're in good company.

3:36 PM, October 08, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

Lauren - haven't you left the country yet!

2:27 AM, October 09, 2007  
Blogger lauren said...

obviously not, otherwise i wouldn't be commenting on your blog! we don't have the internet or blogs in australia, you know.

5:20 PM, October 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home