Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Aligning With Winners Who Lose.

My bemusement regarding the whole area of personality endorsement is no secret. Most of the time I just don't get it - it's badly executed, intellectually nebulous and all too often prone to self-sabotage.

While glancing at the French Grand Prix this afternoon, I saw a television spot for the Iveco Stralis which I take to be a truck. It proclaimed the usual trucky attributes of strength and performance by associating itself with the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team. Pretty lame in and of itself, but all the worse when my newspaper informed me that the latest performance of the All Blacks was to be outplayed by Australia yesterday.

4 Comments:

Blogger RB said...

And in trucking terms I say Halelulliah brother and thank you Mazda Ozzies!

8:19 AM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger Rachel Luxemburg said...

I'm a non-rugby-following American, and even I know who the All Blacks are, because their haka videos are all over YouTube.

9:30 AM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

But what All Black qualities are unique to Iveco trucks - that's what I don't understand. Strength or power are surely a given truck-wise.

12:14 PM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger lauren said...

thank you for this sports report john - i can now jump on a serious bandwagon and gloat to my mother, who is from nz, about the all blacks losing. this, i'm sure, she will appreciate.
and if you've ever passed a truck on the hills of the F6 from wollongong, you'll know that strength and power are not always a given in trucks.

5:22 PM, July 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home