Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

Local councils are considering banning the use of plastic bags in town centres - those in London are proposing a levy of 10p per bag similar to that which exists in Ireland. All very commendable but I wonder if the real problem is that to change people's behaviour, you have to make it easy for them. Otherwise they'll just grumble and take the hit. Things will improve but not as much as they might

I make the effort. I keep some reusable, supermarket-provided bags in my car so that I won't use plastic bags. Trouble is, I generally remember this fact when I'm waiting at the till!

Somebody needs to create a bag that collapses to such a small size that you can carry it in your pocket (or has the same effect) - then behaviours might radically change. Punishment no doubt works with some, so too does encouragement but facilitation is a much better marketing tactic.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what you want are these...

http://www.onyabags.co.uk

Made from parachute material, they're virtually indestructable and pack down really small.

They're great, and we use them all the time.

Originally from NZ I think.

And Onyabags? Because you can always keep one onya!

3:49 AM, July 16, 2007  
Blogger RB said...

Try Sainsbury's. They have a very small fold-up bag at the tills. Cost a few bob but there you go.

Like you I always remember that I did not bring the bags with me while I am at thew till. But I console myself with the thought that the bags Sainsbury's use are a compnent mix to help drive down CO2 ommissions and then I re-use them for containers each week for plastic recycling collection!

3:49 AM, July 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's been a charge for plastic bags for as long as I can remember in Italy, and I've been carrying cloth bags almost as long. Recently I've received a few as giveaways at camps and conferences, in a thin yet strong unbleached cotton material (printed with a logo, of course) - small and light enough to stuff into a purse, pocket or pack. No brainer to have this on me all the time, and I think nice thoughts about the companies that give them to me.

7:11 AM, July 16, 2007  
Blogger Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the internet, very interesting blog.

6:15 PM, July 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who cares?

11:43 AM, July 17, 2007  
Blogger kaylen said...

yeah, that's not me (the anonymous note). mine would be more along the lines of, "i use plastic bags all the time. screw the dolphins. they're creepy."

actually, i use plastic bags because they're great for the tiny washroom waste basket. also, the art college asks you to donate yours for the show & sale.

1:39 PM, July 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home