Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Obviously Right.

With its weird numbering arrangements and honeycomb of streets, London is not always the easiest city in which to find places. Often people on the street you're seeking can't direct you to the exact address. It's not helped by a fashion for discreet corporate signage.

Thus a couple of weeks ago (when delivering a T shirt for the Interesting 2007 treatment), I was delighted to note that the Design Conspiracy leave nothing to chance. They proudly announce their presence with a banner that must be ten feet high. No wasted time, no missed appointments, no lost opportunities.



If you don't promote your presence, nobody else will.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well spotted!

We actually thought long and hard about this before we moved in. Stukeley Street was once called something else, it was about 150 years ago but some maps still use the old name. On top of that Stukeley Street twists and turns round several corners and a few mews. It's very easy to miss.

We didn't want courier after courier ringing, "We were there at 10am mate but I couldn't find number 12" so we made this huge bloody sign.

We figured that most people would be looking for the number, so we made that the biggest bit.

12:34 AM, June 29, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

I'm very observant!

I did wonder if you'd considered putting one at the T junction but been unable to due to not inhabiting that building.

1:13 AM, June 29, 2007  
Blogger RB said...

I live in Compton Rd but certain maps, sat navs and council records have me at Cow Lane!

I could understand Sheep Lane but cows?

I do not see any reason why this village should have a main thoroughfare called Cow Lane when it has since medieval times, been associated with and reknowned for being the 2nd largest sheep market in UK.

I hope we are the world leaders in this sort of misguided street naming confusion. It goes with the national idiosyncratic demeanour.

3:21 AM, July 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you the number of times I've been lost in London looking for a street number. I love this. Clever Ben.

(He's the third cleverest person I know)

10:23 AM, July 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home